Before The Theory Test
We will give you as much support as you need to help pass your theory test. On your first lesson we will give you access to a theory website called Theory Test Pro. This is a free site that allows you to practice as much as you need prior to your test. We can also include theory support during your lessons if you so wish. On the days running up to your test we provide a free mock test to make sure you are fully prepared. In our experience those learners who started their theory training straight away developed better road awareness when driving.
There are two parts of the theory test, a multiple choice section and the hazard perception clips.
- The Multiple Choice Element.
- You will have 57 minutes to complete this section of the test.
- You will be presented with 50 random multiple choice questions.
- Most questions require one answer but some require two or more responses.
- You can move forwards and backwards through the test and even ‘flag’ questions you would like to review again before ending the test.
- You must score a minimum of 43 out of 50 to pass this element of the theory test
The Hazard Perception Element
- Before this test starts you a shown a short video that explains how this section works and gives you an opportunity to see a sample film clip.
- You will be presented with 14 short video clips taken from a drivers point of view. Each video is approximately 60 seconds.
- You are required to click the mouse button as soon as you see a hazard developing that may result in the driver having to change speed or direction.
- In 13 of the clips there will be one hazard and in 1 clip there will be 2 hazards to identify
You are scored out of 5 for how quickly you react to each clip. The quicker you identify the developing hazard the more points you score.
- You must score a minimum of 44 out of 75 to pass this element of the theory test.
- After the test.
Once you have passed your theory test you are eligible to apply for your practical driving test. You cannot book your practical driving test without your theory test pass certificate. You must then pass your practical driving test within 2 years of passing your theory test. If this 2 years has lapsed you have to take another theory test.